Thursday, October 18, 2007

blind experience...

Today I went on a field trip with my class and we experienced what it is like to be blind. It was one of the craziest experiences in my life...and I am shocked that 7 year olds managed to go through a pitch dark maze for 1 hour! I have to admit I was a bit scared at first and also feeling a bit clusterphobic when I realized we were entering a dark place and would never find my way out!...when I say dark I am talking D A R K!...I mean I could not see the child in front of me or anything for that matter!...really absolutely nothing!...there was not even a hint of light coming into the room. NOTHING!...we had a blind walking stick to feel our way and then we had to follow our guide...she was a real blind woman but for her it was completely normal. I talked to her a lot but I have to say that I have never had a conversation in the dark before with a person and could not see her...we went through a grocery store, walked over a hanging bridge, went in a bus, in a telephone booth, and in a restaurant where we could buy drinks!...but to figure out the right euro coins was interesting too!...the kids were pretty brave I have to say...I think I would have cried and screamed if I was a kid. They kept asking me if I was still with them and when they heard my voice, they were rest assured that they were safe!...pretty interesting and you really appreciate having sight when you get out of there!

No comments: